Friday, January 9, 2009

January 6: Glucksschwein

Here's the Glucksschwein explanation directly from the swap sign-up page: "When you are lucky, the Germans say "Du hast Schwein gehabt." This means You Have Had Pig. The saying dates back to hard times, when having a pig to eat meant you were fortunate indeed." The pig, not so much.

My partner and her husband spend their summers planting trees in the Canadian Rockies, during which time they live in a van. I thought Pass the Pigs, one of my favorite games, would be perfect for them (that's what's in the present at left, I forgot to take a picture before I wrapped it up). It's small, portable, and can keep you busy for hours. Trust me.

I had a terrible time finding one, though. It seems there is only one independent toy store in Philadelphia that isn't an hour away by transit (Happily Ever After at 1010 Pine), and although it looks like a good one with local owners and workers who know their product and are eager to help you find the perfect toy - a great plus to any locally-owned shop - it's not exhaustive and they didn't have Pigs. Did there used to be locally-owned toy stores around here before ToysRUs and then WalMart took over the market? There are several toy stores in the suburbs, mostly on the main line, and I beg Philly locals to support them next time you're toy shopping. Starting a business is the primary way people lift themselves out of poverty, and the more the big box stores control the market, the more impossible it is for people to help themselves.

The postcard up top is one that moves when you tip it back & forth. It's printed in Germany and even said good luck on the back! Perfect! I ended up mailing my own Pigs game to my partner. Next time I'm in Chestnut Hill I'll replace it at ODoodles.

2 comments:

JenMeister said...

That's a cute pig card! I'm participating in the glucksschwein swap too and it's fun to see what everyone's sending :)

JenMeister said...

I just learned the word for the moving image! "Lenticular" :D