Saturday, January 31, 2009

Incoming: Vegan recipes

The vegan recipes I got from two partners couldn't be more different. Unless one had meat in the recipes, or unless one wasn't actually recipes, but a giraffe. Neither of them are giraffes, so they have that in common. Pictured above is a mini-cookbook written, designed and sent by the manager of a food coop in Urbana, Illinois. The recipes look easy, nutritious and cheap: Garlicky Asian kale & tofu, tempeh avocado sandwiches (with directions for marinading the tempeh), tamale pie, and chana masala. Yum! The recipes even smell delicious, having been packed with a bag of garam masala. It also came with one of my very favorite snacks in my favorite flavor, mesquite lime vegan jerky*, and a long, thoughtful card.

Another partner sent me two recipes that looked like they'd been well-used already, or maybe the envelope got wet in the mail. I'm all for reuse, it's just a strong contrast. The recipes are for a weird-sounding milkshake with ingredients I wouldn't normally have around the house, and tofu tacos. At first I thought "well that's useless," but then it dawned on me that as obvious as it seems, I've never thought about putting taco seasonings in crumbled tofu. And I freaking love tacos. Also? I love milkshakes. So I'm grateful for having gotten both of these envelopes!

* not pictured, because I ate it immediately.

No comments: