Sunday, January 18, 2009

January 14: Handmade needlebook

While making this needlebook, I realized how quickly I've grown to be dependent on the one I received. It's stored in its envelope still, awaiting exposition at the fun-a-day finale, where I will showcase every swap I've received this month, but I keep pulling it out of the pile to use it. My mini-adventure trying to find non-acrylic felt, and coming up with only brown and navy 80% wool felt, makes me appreciate the incredible quality of materials Rochelle used to make mine. I would even venture to guess the pages are cashmere, they feel so good to the touch!

My partner likes birds and autumn colors, and luckily I had just such fabrics in my stash. I lined the cover with thick paper to keep the needles from poking through, added two pockets on the inside covers, and some snaps for closure. The nest (from a print I made for these) doesn't have much to do with needles, but I asked my partner to imagine it was built with all her thread ends.

The remaining felt may find other incarnation as a small stuffed groundhog; I haven't decided yet.

1 comment:

JenMeister said...

Luckily the brown felt goes wonderfully with an autumn theme! I love the pockets you've put in... how handy! I really love it (esp. that leaf material) & I'm sure your swap partner will too :)