Sunday, January 18, 2009

January 15: Handmade postcards

This swap directed me to make five postcards and send one to each of five partners. I tried not to be too much of a perfectionist, so that each collage didn't take more time than I actually have and so they could retain some spontaneity. I only read my partners' profiles when I finished, and discovered that I'd made a perfect card for at least three of them. These coincidences cease to surprise me, although I still give them their due reverence. It's just the way things work.

This one went to a woman who loves nature, the ocean, vintage things and zombies (the entertainer just has to be a zombie if he's dancing with a colossal squid):


This is my favorite of the bunch. The list of things starting with "F" is from a Life Magazine ad for an illustrated encyclopedia I have a few volumes of, including the "F" volume. I love this group of words. Fairy Tales, Frogs, Flowers, Farms, Fossils, Feudalism, Foreign Aid, and (the hidden one) Flouridation, while surely meant in this list to elucidate how far-ranging the encyclopedia is, have something in common fifty years later: They are the fantasies, public relations coups, and social and environmental disasters that our society is built upon.


This postcard is made entirely of stuff that might otherwise have gone out with the trash. Honestly, when I started making it, I didn't even know it was for this swap; I just had strips of maps and calendar pages (leftover from cutting origami squares) and a piece of card I'd been using to transport them without creasing. The escalator image and the luna moth print on a piece of plastic bag came later. I mailed it to a Californian "artist/engineer/mom/gardener/recycler," whose "artwork is 99% Garbage ... I use dumpster treasures to make my collages."


This I mailed to a woman in Florida who loves vintage/retro photos, "off beat and dark humor," and who still wants a cigarette though she quit ages ago:


I think maybe next year I'll do a collage a day.

3 comments:

JenMeister said...

I really like your collage style - these and the ocean ATCs you posted. Do you have a lot of material stashed away that you use, or do you also print things? :)

Kate said...

They're all from original sources! I went nuts on ebay in 2002 and am still working from that stash.

JenMeister said...

That's great :) It's always nice when it's original... I can't let myself near ebay at the moment, as I have a tendency to go nuts on it too, and my bank account couldn't cope with such an onslaught right now :D Still, I'll have to go through all my mags and pictures I've kept stashed for so long and see what pops up :)