Sunday, January 4, 2009

Incoming: origami paper

I joined the origami paper swap (send at least 12 pages of origami paper to each of two partners) because I only know how to fold one thing from memory and figured it was about time to expand my repertoire. What better way to get inspiration than through the mail? The one thing I know how to fold is a lily (click for instructions). This lily made me many friends when I was traveling from Turkey to Barcelona over six months in 2000. If I wanted to meet someone I would fold them a lily in their line of sight which peaked their attention, and for the flourish at the end, I'd hand them the lily. It got the point across even when we didn't share a language. I still have two lily friends (if mostly on facebook).

@buzzbuzzbee and @swan already mailed me pages of origami paper for that swap, even though it's not due out the door until 20 January! @buzzbuzzbee went so far as to wrap it up impressively in this deer tree box. And she even designed and printed the images herself! Wow!


Inside I found these:


plus lots of smaller pages:

And these lovely sheets came from @swan. I love the dragonfly one on top best; I think I'll try this owl with it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the way you displayed it on the blog!!!! Glad you liked it all! Guess what? The packaging was actually misprints of christmas cards I did, but in the end they did make lovely packaging! Many of the smaller sheets are cut from large sheets of paper. This was a fun swap and I can always send you more paper too -- I have WAY too much!

Unknown said...

P.S. Thanks for the link to my etsy site!

Swan said...

I've enjoyed selecting the papers, too. I'm still waiting for my partners to send theirs, I'm curious what patterns I'll get.
It's so neat that Bethany designed the papers herself. I love the pattern with the cranes on the left, Bethany.

Unknown said...

Swan, I didn't design the papers myself -- just the packaging -- actually it was just misprints of christmas cards I did. I WISH I could take credit for the paper