Thursday, January 8, 2009

Incoming: Friendship star quilt block

Some of the swaps on Swap-Bot are serial, like the animal ATCs where you have to make an ATC of an animal for every letter of the alphabet. One swap will be the letter A, the next the letter B, and so on (I joined Animal ATCs - F; that'll be mid-January. Frilled lizard? Flying fox? Firebelly newt? Finnish spitz?).

This is a serial swap that results in a friendship star quilt top at the end, each 12 inches of which is made by a different person. There's a new friendship star quilt block swap every month in which one 12.5-inch block is exchanged. This being my entree into the serial swap, I didn't have any other blocks to match, so I didn't request any specific colors (except I've written on my site profile that pastels are to be avoided at all costs). @Quiltluver, my assigned partner, was so dear as to ask me what I wanted, but I left it up to her. Serendipity has always worked for me, and it didn't fail this time either; she got my colors exactly right. These rich, royal tones are my favorites when it comes to comfort bedclothes. I doubt I'll keep swapping much when January is over, but I do want to keep up with the friendship star swaps until I have enough to make a quilt.

Luna liked the quilt square too. That, or she stopped being the center of attention for one second and had to reassert herself.


@Quiltlover also included a bazillion extra little things, including more triangles cut from the quilt square fabric, some matching fat quarters (a fabric square measuring 18x18 inches; it's a quilting term), and this amazing postcard. I assume it's prompted by the part of my profile that says I love terribly boring postcards. She gets me! Kyoto, you know I've always wanted to visit you, but you're not representing yourself well here:

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I am glad you enjoyed your block...I will be reading your blog to keep up to date with the blocks you receive. It doesn't take long to get enough swap blocks for a quilt...

JenMeister said...

I really like the idea of a quilt made up with squares sent by different people. Can't wait to see the finished product! It'll be fun choosing the order to put them in (which I'm told is half the work) ;)

JenMeister said...

Oh, and I love the neat & tidy thread spools in the background... so different to my work area :D

Kate said...

"Neat and tidy spools!" As I say in the blog description, I evangelize a bit in my commentary. My media literacy education is begging me to use this as a demonstration for how a medium can completely distort a story. My studio is a disaster, but from this narrow-range photo, it looks possibly neat and tidy. The equal time doctrine sort of does the same thing. Say there are two sides to a news story, one with 500 people who show up to tell theirs and one with eight people who show up. (Or maybe, one side of an argument has had 10 members die, and another has had 908, mostly women and children, mostly citizens.) The camera will zoom in on both groups, and give them both four-second soundbites, so it looks like it's an even fight. It's not, any more than my studio is tidy.