Sunday, January 4, 2009

January 2: Postcards

Day two didn't involve any particular craft either, though I did invest some time here. I was to send 10 postcards to each of 10 people. I've been collecting blank postcards for years, and there are some I won't let out of my collection (like the one captioned "early days of radio" that pictures a postage stamp from Antigua with Mickey & Minnie Mouse and a gramophone on it. The back is printed in Czech). Others I love enough that I want to share them, so I was glad to send these out. They went to Illinois, Michigan, California, Mississippi, Wyoming, France, two to Wisconsin, and two to Malaysia.

The swap specified that I should write what I do for a living on the card. This was fun, since right now I have several part-time jobs, half of which are on hiatus. Honestly, I don't know what the hell I do. So each card said something different; as I wrote I wondered if I have multiple personalities.

Pictured are a selection of the ten I mailed, all picked up in the Netherlands. The boek illustratoren card went to @Marineko, who works in the best bookstore in Jalan Melati Utama.

I spelled "career" wrong on this cat card, which went to @ladyrn. Sorry. To make up for it though, right this second Nova is sleeping on the part of my lap the computer isn't on, in pretty much the postcard cat's position.

This Donald Evans postcard, procured from the Stedelijk museum in Amsterdam the day after I biked all the way around Texel (known for its unique breed of sheep), went to a stamp collector.


And this labor poster facsimile went to @scowlette in Chicago, student of history and labor studies.

No comments: