Friday, January 16, 2009

January 11: Independent Label CD


The actual title of this swap was "indie rock CD" but for reasons not examined here I feel a little squeamish using the word "indie." Jamie, the person I was assigned to make it for, said in her profile she likes "hard rock music and emo bands," so I tried to give her a mix that would satisfy both of those while still being music I really like and want to share with people. It ended up having lots of Dischord bands on it, but there are others too. Including people who are my friends, so I'm a bit of a nepotist, but I might not like them so much if I didn't like their music!

I spent almost as much time on the CD folder; just in case Jamie hated the music I wanted her to have something cool at least! I used an index page from an atlas, so the part of the index title that ended up on the front of the folder became the title of the mix: Locations of DIVISIONS: pop. pop. pop. ("pop." was the column heading, for "population" of course.) Inside there was one sleeve for the CD and one for the playlist. I got a response from Jamie already: "It's going to take a couple listenings to really decide on the music. The packaging, though, is awesome. It made me want to pop the cd in and give it a listen, right away, that's how packaging for a mix should be." So my ploy worked.

Here's the playlist:
Ganger - Cats, Dogs And Babies Jaws
Q And Not U - So Many Animal Calls
Kaiser Chiefs - Everyday I Love You Less And Less
Sun City Girls - Blue Mambo
MAKE-UP - (I've Heard About) Saturday Nite
Mission Of Burma - Red
Propagandhi - Natural Disasters
Stinking Lizaveta - Stupid MF
Ex Orkest - Kokend Asfalt
Via Audio - Enunciation
Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin - Anne Elephant
Mr. Blanding's Dreamhouse - Khaki Baby
Maria Taylor - My Own Fault
Joshua Marcus - So Low So Love So Long
Mischief Brew - Roll Me Through The Gates Of Hell
Slim Cessna's Auto Club - Pine Box
Built To Spill - You Were Right
Karl Larsson - Devil's Strings
Calexico - Deep Down
The (International) Noise Conspiracy - Breakout 2001

No comments: